That Trip to the Funeral Home. . .

"Death is important to those that have to go through it," B. Matthews

Well tonight I had a class field trip to a funeral home and it wasn't so bad. You're probably thinking, who in the world calls visiting a funeral home a field trip? Well that is what it said on the syllabus....so I'm just going with it. When I first entered the funeral home, I felt this tension in my body where I became very uncomfortable being there. Once the rest of my classmates showed up, the owner Barbara Matthews went ahead and presented herself. By this point I totally had forgotten we were in a funeral home and felt no tension. Mrs. Matthews provided a great amount of information that I had never known about funeral services but than again I had never looked into it.

Before this visit I never really showed an appreciate to the people that manage the funeral services. In the past I have attended different funerals, nothing to be proud of but I have always felt that the funeral services people were just blah... I guess it's because you feel that the whole world is still going while you are here having to say goodbye to a loved one. You find it very unfair, well at least in my shoes I did. A moment in your life where you think how will things be from here on out, especially without that certain person. It's at these moments that we need to seek help from others. Those others being the funeral services people, the people that are on call 24/7 no matter what. The people that are there to assist you through the most difficult time and will work with you to find what fits your budget. This information amazed me because I had never felt such a vibe of compassion from the funeral services in the past when my niece passed away. But than again my brother and his wife dealt with the funeral arrangements and just kept us informed.

Throughout this visit many information was provided, as well as a many questions asked. One of them being, have you made any arrangement for your funeral? Or what if you die tonight, will your family know if you wanted to be buried or cremated? These are the questions that we never really speak about or we try to avoid the subject of death.

The tour started in the chapel where it later lead to the "casket room" where you could look at the different types of caskets and their prices. Talking about caskets, I never knew how expensive one could be until that visit. After that we were brought into different rooms throughout the funeral home, one being the viewing room. The room that I couldn't seem to go in. That tension that I felt in the beginning when I first entered the building was back. I honestly got this bad vibe that just had me uncomfortable the entire time outside the viewing room. I never went it. I could hear a little voice in the back of head telling me to just stay away because it was just bad luck. So of course I wasn't going to jinx it. I don't know if someone else might feel the same way, or it's just a cultural thing but I sure wasn't going to test it. Oh no shawty! *Shaking my head*

I must honestly say that I give these people pros, well anyone that chooses to do this profession. I wouldn't be able to keep it together, I just feel like I would end up depressed and useless. With all honestly I have always disliked funeral homes since day one. You never expect or desire a death, or anyone so having to say goodbye is what I HATED and learned to dislike funeral homes because of that. Visiting the funeral home has really opened my eyes to a whole different perspective about funeral homes and the appreciation for those individuals that stand behind all of it. I'm glad that I was able to visit a funeral home from an informative point of view and not a loss. It sure was a different type of experience but so worth it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just for a mango smoothie. . .

With yours truly, noche de tropical